Friday, June 20, 2014

This morning I wanted to take a minute hiraoka peru to reflect on the most extreme art experience I

BRIANA LYON » ICE GATE: Reflections on Olympic art
This morning I wanted to take a minute hiraoka peru to reflect on the most extreme art experience I’ve ever had: working on Ice Gate 2010 for the Vancouver Winter Olympic Games. Perhaps it was Soho that brought it to mind, or the extraordinary impatience with the end of winter.
For three months I worked in a -28 degree Celsius deep freezer constructing art with the team Paintings Below Zero. Godran Halloran, the a renowned Canadian ice artist, was our fearless leader. How he thought creatively in a space that cold I’ll never know… but I gues Canadian’s are used to it.
Here I am transporting a delicate chunk of art in the deep freeze. The floors – ice cold cement covered in a fine snowy dust – were incredibly slippery. One false move and a piece of precious colored ice could shatter!
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> hiraoka peru <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>
acrylic action art asian banff centre braced bright destroy dreams educated environment film first step gouache hiraoka peru green hardboard hard word installation landscape manufacturing nature non-toxic opaque organic outdoor peak experience petroleum pigment watercolor


No comments:

Post a Comment